Monday, November 15, 2010

30 Posts in 30 Days - Day One

In my quest for bettering myself, I have come to the realization that I enjoy challenges.  Growing up, I was mostly an only child.  I had a much older brother (12 years older) and a much younger brother (16 years younger), so I never had anyone to compete with. 

I do remember in my junior year in high school that my goal was always to beat the grades my friend Shalee received in the classes we had together.  It was the best year in my whole school career.  The challenge - which she may never know until now even existed - made me a better person and of course, proved my mother right - "See!  I knew if you applied yourself you could be an A+ student!" 


Even to this day, Jon and I have competitions - even though they are mostly dumb and trivial and I almost always lose, they can be so much fun!  So here is my new challenge.  30 posts in 30 days.  (I tried posting every day with the soda challenge, but didn't quite make it ;)  I found some topics to write about in these next 30 days.  Not only will I get to learn a little about myself - but you will too!  I'm even going to go so far as to challenge YOU to do this also.  Who knows?  It may even be fun.  :)


Day...
1.  Guilty pleasure
2.  Something that inspires you
3.  The five songs you would have with you on a desert island and why
4.  What you imagine paradise to be like
5.  A thank you letter to someone who has changed your life
6.  Earliest thing you can remember
7.  Favorite song and why
8.  Someone you think would make a good president
9.  Five things you want to see change
10.  A dream you had this past week described in detail
11.  Favorite picture ever taken of yourself
12.  Your favorite story
13.  A memory that never fails to make you laugh
14.  Best meal you've ever had
15.  Amoment, phrase, or song that has changed your life the most
16.  Something that you want to do within the next five years
17.  What you want to be remembered for
18.  A picture that makes you feel
19.  A passage from a book that has touched you
20.  A person that you immediately liked upon first meeting them
21.  Your favorite medium of art
22.  Someone you would give your life up for without question
23.  Most awkward first impression you feel you’ve ever given
24.  Something you did as a child that other people remember you for
25.  Something you would do if no one stopped you or if you knew you wouldn’t fail
26.  Your definition of love
27.  Your definition of the meaning of life
28.  A moment you remember being completely happy in and a description of why you believe you were
29.  What you live for
30.  Ways you believe you have grown over the past thirty days


DAY ONE:  Guilty Pleasure


My husband asked me one time what my guilty pleasure was and I promptly responded "reading!".  To which he laughed and then had to explain that reading is NOT a guilty pleasure.  Up until this point, I had not given it much more thought.  And the more and more I thought about it, I couldn't come up with a good answer.  So the googling person that I am, I looked it up.  The definitition of guilty pleasure is this...


"A guilty pleasure is something one enjoys and considers pleasurable despite feeling guilt for enjoying it. Often, the "guilt" involved is simply fear of others discovering one's lowbrow or otherwise embarrassing tastes, rather than actual moral guilt. Fashion, music, and food (especially unhealthier foods high in sugar and/or fat) can be examples of guilty pleasures."


My guilty pleasure is SHOPPING.  Yep.  I love to shop.  No, I'm not exceptionally good at it - I can't always find great deals, I get frustrated when I can't find what I'm looking for, and I'm not really fashionably ahead of the game.  But I love to buy things - for the house and the kids mostly.  I think I may just make us go bankrupt...!  I'm just kidding!  However, I always have things on my mind that I think I "need" and the word "buy" has become a bad word in our house.  The worst part is that my husband is the most content person in the world.  He still wears the same t-shirts as he did in high school.  So we are hugely different.  When the word "buy" comes up in my sentences, I think my husband lovingly wants to strangle me!  ;) 


What is your guilty pleasure?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HA! I had NO idea that we were competing for the best grades -you should have told me...it may have improved my math grades :)The class I remember best is the creative speech and writing class -what fun times!!
~Shalee